Adapting a Ranch Home for Aging in Place
There are so many things a homeowner can do to make a space more adaptable to aging such as:
- Assist bars in the bathroom
- Extra handrails
- Brighter lighting
- Bright white switch plates and outlets
- Lighted, rocker electrical switches
- Automatic lighting
- Use of color to differentiate transitions
- Levers for door handles and plumbing fixtures…
- …and so much more.
A few things to consider when looking for a ranch home:
- Main-level laundry room or the flexibility to create a laundry room on the main level.
- Pass up a raised ranch or one with a walk-out basement because you may want to be able to access your back yard without having to use a lot of stairs. With a raised ranch floor plan, you have to climb stairs from the garage as well.
- Plenty of storage on the main level, rather than having to navigate stairs to the basement.
- A fenced-in back yard if you have a pet. Pets are wonderful companions. ♥
As always, contact The Henderson Larson Group to get answers to any questions you may have. We would love to help you find the perfect ranch home for your situation and we can even recommend contractors to adapt that home to your needs. Call us today--we work every day of the week for you!